How Often Should You Clean Your Air Ducts
Your air ducts are the primary airway from your HVAC system to the areas of your home, and they need regular cleanings to improve your air quality and help your home stay more energy-efficient. The Environmental Protection Agency has stated that the air inside your home may be up to 5 times more polluted than the outside, so Smart A/C Services is here to discuss duct cleanings and how often they need to be done.
How Frequently Should You Have it Completed?
Depending on the location where you live, this will affect how frequently you need to have your ducts cleaned. Allergens like mold spores, pet dander, dust, pollen, and other particulates can build up and enter your home without proper cleaning, so the general timeframe is between five and eight years. There are some situations where it may need to be done more frequently, and these can include:
- If there are family members with allergies or asthma
- You live in an older home that has drafts or leaks
- There are indoor smokers
- A renovation was just completed
- If there are pets that shed regularly
- If you just purchased a new home, but there are no records of a duct cleaning
What is the Process?
- The first step is to contact a professional HVAC contractor to do an inspection. In some cases, the vents will need to be removed or disinfected before they are vacuumed out.
- The technician then uses a negative pressure vacuum connected to a collection container.
- The hose will be inserted into the duct, and the registers will be sealed to help create negative pressure.
- The accumulated debris is then forced into the main tube and sucked into the vacuum.
It is also not uncommon to have the HVAC system and furnace cleaned simultaneously, so consider this a maintenance option because it can pay for itself over time.
What are the Benefits of it?
Keeping the air ducts clean is critical and not just for helping create more longevity for your HVAC system. There are multiple ways it offers an advantage, including:
- More efficient airflow
- Fewer allergens
- A cleaner living environment
- Improves your HVAC systems functions
- Lowers energy costs
- Elimination of contaminants
Trust the Professionals at Smart A/C Services for All Your HVAC Needs!
Keeping on top of your ducting system’s health is crucial, and if you need expert services, Smart A/C Services is your number one choice in Texas! Our team of experts is trained to offer the highest quality services, including A/C installation and furnace repairs, so you never have to worry about a job well done!
The comfort of your home depends on a healthy HVAC and duct system, so message us online or call us at 832-439-0758 for your free estimate today.